Manager

Manager - NA4M
Manager Notes

Reviews For: Yaesu FTM-7250DR

Category: Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Base/Mobile (non hand-held)

eMail Subscription

Review Summary For : Yaesu FTM-7250DR
Reviews: 20MSRP: 269.95
Description:
C4FM/FM 144/430MHz Dual-Band Digital Mobile

50W C4FM/FM Dual-Band Digital
Product is in production
More Info: http://https://www.yaesu.com/indexVS.cfm?cmd=DisplayProducts&ProdCatID=106&encProdID=A2FF443FFA7DE7C16072D3EBEC69D19A&DivisionID=65&isArchived=0
# last 180 days Avg. Rating last 180 days Total reviews Avg. overall rating
54.2204.2
W8LM Rating: 2019-11-07
5 Stars with caveats from an OLD FART.. Time Owned: 0 to 3 months.
2 days ago I passed my 54 year Anniversary of being a ham. I'm no kid at 70-1/2 but Ham radio is a thrill just as much as ever. Summer lightening hit took out my 2M rig at the house, along with over $3000 of other items. But my beams & rotor was fine. My insurance covered all but the deductible. However it took a month to settle. As luck would have it I caught a sale, one that priced Yaesu's just 20% over off brand radio's. I paid $90 less than MSRP listed above. I bought 2-car & house. I also bought a FT-70D and paid for all with just 6 bills.. and only one was Lincoln, the rest were Bennies. 2-3 days were spent reading manuals and doing chores. I wanted to use CHIRP to program the HT and wound up calling Tech support to find that FT-70D programming software is FREE. The programming cable is supplied. Ham Stores won't tell you that; they want to sell you software. Tech support told me you cannot program a FTM-7250DR, well, we'll see. you can program the 2M only version. Salesmen recommend FTM-100 and 400.. Well both are too much bells & whistles for me. I hand programmed 30 frequencies both Analog and Fusion. I have not downloaded the "ADVANCED" manual yet. Apparently I need to to get some questions answered. Caveats.--- I discovered there are 2 squelches. One using the BAND/SQL button (noise Squelch) and one SET #34- RF Squelch. which requires a certain S-meter reading. I have not been able to determine if either or both settings can be stored in channel memory or not. But here in the plains of Kansas very weak signals will trip the noise squelch even though audio is unreadable. So very sensitive to RF - distant mobiles and "skip" I have had to TN SQL a few repeaters as I'm hearing the next one over trip my squelch even though they are listed as 80-100 miles distant. I did find TX power can be stored in memory channels, as 1 repeater is 2000 feet north of me. I don't even need 1/10 watt to get into it. Downside- Some "functions" on the Front panel, Some Functions in a Menu (SET). Some Functions on the microphone. TT# D in receive changes TX power. I find P25 and DMR too OCD for me. D-star had 12 years and "basically failed". I like that Fusion will auto mode so you can QSO with a fellow who can just afford a Baofeng. Yaesu has made pricing so competitive, you eliminate buying off brand because for a few more dollars you get Yaesu's 3 year warranty..All the digital modes- you can debate them like Beta and VHS.. Who has either now?? My first Yaesu was a 1974 FT-101..Still buying Yaesu's 45 years later. Buy if only for price and 3 year warranty. but read the manualS. Fusion is popular with ALLSTAR (includes Echolink and ILRP) Wire-X. Older reviews may have had problems solved that you will not see with a rig bought today. please realize 1/2 of the reviews here are pompus a$$hØL3$ - BTW- ARRL Life member. VE team leader. Best Wishes de Larry W8LM
AE7NM Rating: 2019-10-18
Update Time Owned: more than 12 months.
I like this radio, but it has developed a couple of problems.
1. people report a low hum or buzz on my audio. It gets louder when I pause and quieter while I am speaking. It does this even when connected to a LifePO4 battery, so it is not the switching power supply. The tone is present on simplex or duplex.
2. It has trouble opening the tone squelch on repeaters on the 25W and 50W output settings. It works ok on 5W output or repeaters that do not require a tone.
The Yeasu technical help person talked me through a number of tests, then asked me to send it in. They couldn't verify the problems. It still won't work for me. I am at my wit's end.
NX0E Rating: 2019-07-24
Good radio bad documentation Time Owned: 3 to 6 months.
The radio runs well with good audio on both rx and tx. Digital mode is fun and clear. I am no fan of Yaesu documentation, though. Each new radio has less printed in the manual, and even the online "advanced" documents are saying less. Yaesu must pay their writer by the word! Simple additions would help. In the extensive list of menu settings, they should say which are stored per memory and which setting are global. And why the USB cable and port that does nothing?
N8AUC Rating: 2019-05-22
One year update Time Owned: more than 12 months.
It's been a year since I purchased my FTM-7250DR at Hamvention. It's been rock solid reliable, and works great. It's easy to program from the front panel. Although I think I'm going to explore programming software options. Just to see what it will do.

Overall, I've been very happy with the radio. No regrets on the purchase. I'd do it all over again.

K6ITR Rating: 2019-05-22
Good, simple dual band, not so good filtering. Time Owned: 0 to 3 months.
I bought this radio to replace my FT1900 because I wanted a basic dual-band mobile. This is the least-expensive brand-name radio on the market without going to cheap Chinese knock-offs. I'm generally happy with it, but there are a couple of issues.
Pros: Compact, same size as the FT1900 it replaced. Front firing speaker, which for me eliminates the need for an extension speaker. Simple interface, programming is virtually the same as my FT1900, except for some of the digital features. C4FM and Wires-X-capable. No unneeded bells and whistles.
Cons: Poor adjacent-channel rejection in RF-rich environments. I find myself running the RF Squelch higher than I'd like, which doesn't always help. Some RF interference will actually peg the S meter, which never happened on the FT1900. Not enough power settings. Only 50/25/5 watts. It needs something between 5 and 25 like my FT1900 had.
Some folks don't like the lack of a separate squelch knob, but these days it's very common across all brands.
This is probably the best bargain you'll find for a brand-name dual band mobile, and you get digital. Just be aware of the filtering issue.
KE0PQV Rating: 2019-03-10
Perfect Time Owned: more than 12 months.
This radio does exactly what it is advertised to do. Audio is clear, receives great.

My setup is in-dash with a Larsen NMO mount. I've never had issues with overheating, never even heard the fan during a ragchew.

G1XXV Rating: 2019-01-31
poor radio Time Owned: 3 to 6 months.
I brought this Radio 3 months ago to replace my 30 year old Alinco. However my Alinco has been reprieved due to this Radio being totally useless as a 2m/70cms mobile radio, and a waste of money. It doesn't appear to be able to monitor 2m and 70cms at the same time. A must have on any VHF/UHF mobile Radio. I can't be fussed by altering Bands while driving, it's to dangerous. Now I'm looking buy another Radio that will work as a proper mobile Radio. This will become an emergency spare. I wouldn't sell it to anyone as it's not a fit for use as a mobile radio.
VE7GYR Rating: 2019-01-26
Good Effort, but.... Time Owned: 6 to 12 months.
This is the third Yaesu dual band mobile I have owned, and this is the one I like the least.

Yes, it receives and transmits just fine. And with an outboard speaker, the audio is acceptable.

But who was the genius that decided to get rid of the squelch knob? I have pulled this radio out of my vehicle, and I have it up for sale now. The radio is very difficult to use without a squelch knob.
N8GD Rating: 2019-01-07
Easy Upgrade! Time Owned: 6 to 12 months.
I bought the 7250 as an upgrade from my FTM-3200DR 2M radio. I now have VHF AND UHF analog/digital in one packaga. The switch from the 3200 was very easy - programming and menus are virtually identical, as is the operation of both rigs. I really like this transceiver in my shack.
N5RV Rating: 2018-11-26
Using as base Time Owned: 0 to 3 months.
I enjoy the simple interface, being used as a base station. I do not like the slight speaker pop while scanning, but if I keep other noise in the room I don't hear the pop as it scans each channel. Also, I don't expect to do much memory scanning in the future. I would imagine in a vehicle it would be OK, but you'd have to see for yourself. I live 25-30 miles from the repeaters and the 50w on both bands helps. It receives clean even on the weakest signals.